Friday, November 7, 2008

A question I was asked

Someone sent me the following question(s) on a message board about cloth diapering and I thought the Q's and answer were worth posting for everyone to read.

OK... I was wondering f I could get your personal preference on the cloth diapers. I am thinking I want one that is size adjustable. Since my son is still in diapers it might be cool to try it out on him right now and maybe do him on the weekends (since he's in day care). And, I saw someone else mention that they like the pockets because the AIO take too long to dry. I don't know what the deal is with the prefolds... I guess they just aren't as easy to do? So.. what kind do you use? Where do you buy them from? And, how many do you think is needed?

Hey! I think one size (OS) would be good since you have another little on the way. I don't have many OS, but like the ones I have. I prefer pockets or fitteds. I don't like AIOs because they do take a long time to dry UNLESS they are TKCuddlers. Her AIOs are very quick drying. Pockets are nice because you can stuff them after they're washed and then they are just like an AIO. Fitteds require a cover, so they're a little bulkier, but I love them still. Most people like the BumGenius OS pockets and Fuzzi Bunz are another popular brand. My favorite online seller is A Baby Connection and she has great prices and is a super nice mama to work with.

As for prefolds, they require a cover and some folding, but aren't that hard. Most people prefer them for newborns because even OS don't fit until 10 lbs. or so.

For the new baby, you should probably get at least a dozen infant prefolds, but 2 dozen would be ideal. I would also get another dozen in the next size up. Green Mountain Diapers has the best prefolds out there and they are only about $2 a piece. Thirsties has the best covers, and you can find those at A Baby Connection or you should check the Thirsties Outlet. You only need 2-4 covers for each size because they don't have to be washed all the time. Just rinse them and hang them to dry. You will also need Snappi's or pins for the prefolds, bot are at ABC too.

I hope this helps you. LMK if you have more questions.

No comments: